Nugeyes

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Postby FliccGirl » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:39 am

My roommate informs me (since I've lost my schedule) that our new-uniform concert will be in place of a fieldhouse show on Sept 11, at 3:30 in Kobacker. --And no, she's not just a random student, she's the baritone section leader, so she should know what she's talking about. :wink:
Falcon Marching Band member 2002-05
FMB Flicc Squad Leader 2005
Tau Beta Sigma outreach chair 04-05, 05-06
The sun ALWAYS shines on the Falcon Marching Band.

***Irrational Exuberance!***
FliccGirl
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: Toledo... (but I repeat, the MED SCHOOL DOESN'T COUNT!)

Postby Rightupinthere » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:58 am

SaxyOboist wrote:Oh, as for other ensembles Dr. Hayward is conducting, she is conducting Concert Band and the new incoming professor to replace Dr. Toney is conducting uni-band. No word yet if she will do A-band I suppose.

-=Jessica=-

TOMEY'S GONE!?!?! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Will the good news coming out of the BGSU band department never cease? There is only one more item of good news I want to hear and I will show - as FliccGirl states in her sig - irrational exuberance. One more, God, just give me one more (and I don't mean BBess)!
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby It's the Journey... » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:32 am

235 in Kelly Hall!!! Thats great. My freshman year we had 225 in our pre-game block and about 240 total. But that was when Dr. Rohr was still here. Dr. Hayward seems to have things finally back on track with the FMB, and with Ryan back as assistant I have every confidence that we will see nice straight lines in pre-game once again :) I also think you guys will like being in the North endzone. The field view won't be that great but we have the video board and hopefully people won't try to play "toss the skittle in the tuba" anymore. I am sure Chief is smiling.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Metz » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:39 am

Rightupinthere wrote:TOMEY'S GONE!?!?! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Will the good news coming out of the BGSU band department never cease? There is only one more item of good news I want to hear and I will show - as FliccGirl states in her sig - irrational exuberance. One more, God, just give me one more (and I don't mean BBess)!

Dr. Toney was a great sit-down band director. Anytime we were inside for marching band just for music playing, he did a wonderful job. I can guarantee that 75%+ in all of the music department will agree with me on that. Sure his ways of running the marching parts of marching band didn't work out as well, but he is a great director for concert bands and a tremendous guy overall. Also, if you look back at his time, he didn't have the TA's that Dr. Hayward has now. If he did, I'm sure everyone would have thought he was the 2nd best director to ever direct the FMB (Roar is the first of course :D ).

I will agree on the other piece of the department that needs to leave though :wink: ! But unfortunately, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Maybe I am supposed to keep this one on the down-low, but I feel alumni should know about it. BBess will be retiring after this year. I heard she is moving out to Colorado with her daughter. So definitely make it out to this years alumni football game because the band will be awesome, and having tons of alums there would be awesome too!!!
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby Metz » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:41 am

235 in Kelly Hall!!!

That is really pushing it. We had 124 nugeyes this year and then 70-90 returning vets. I am guessing we have at most 210.
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby Rightupinthere » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:20 pm

McMetz811 wrote:If he did, I'm sure everyone would have thought he was the 2nd best director to ever direct the FMB (Roar is the first of course :D ).

I have heard that he wasn't that good with sit-down bands - and that's from trusted musicians in this state.
He seemed like a nice enough guy, but any time I was back with alumni band, he always seemed a few sammiches short. The communication between the bands was AWFUL and that always rubbed me the wrong way. We were second class citizens to him.

Maybe I am supposed to keep this one on the down-low, but I feel alumni should know about it. BBess will be retiring after this year.

She told me in an email and continue to ask for the countdown. It will be a very sad single day in the BG band communty. I haven't heard if the alumni are doing anything special yet. We should be hearing soon.

We better. Maybe I'll just hire a male stripper for her. :shock:
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere

Postby billchase2 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:01 pm

McMetz811 wrote:
235 in Kelly Hall!!!

That is really pushing it. We had 124 nugeyes this year and then 70-90 returning vets. I am guessing we have at most 210.

the total number this year is 227 in the FMB
2008 BGSU: Master of Education Degree
2006 BGSU: Bachelor of Science in Technology Degree
04-06 University Activities Organization Director
02-04 FMB; 2004 Trumpet Squad Leader
Kappa Kappa Psi - Beta Kappa
billchase2
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon30 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:25 pm

Also, if you look back at his time, he didn't have the TA's that Dr. Hayward has now. If he did, I'm sure everyone would have thought he was the 2nd best director to ever direct the FMB (Roar is the first of course :D ).

Rohrer? he was terrible! He played favorites to an extreme, his drill was awful. He would move sections one at a time. He was the reason I didn't feel bad about quitting (I had a back injury my junior year.) He screwed over my wife, named the wrong people section leader repeatedly. I am glad he left.

He did a nice job in concert band (I never was in his band, but the results were good, and he had a very nice conducting style.)

I liked Sparks despite his amazing ego. I still use the "toh" thing with my band...it really works. Rohrer's drill sucked. bad. The grad assts wrote vastly superior drill.
Inventor of the Clusterf**k and Shoot offense.
Falcon30
Tubist / Human SubWoofer
Tubist / Human SubWoofer

Postby Falcon30 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:27 pm

billchase2 wrote:
McMetz811 wrote:
235 in Kelly Hall!!!

the total number this year is 227 in the FMB

that is great, but
HOW MANY MAGGOTS? YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MANY MAGGOTS!!!!!!!
Inventor of the Clusterf**k and Shoot offense.
Falcon30
Tubist / Human SubWoofer
Tubist / Human SubWoofer

Postby Metz » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:47 pm

that is great, but
HOW MANY MAGGOTS? YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MANY MAGGOTS!!!!!!!

From what I have seen there might be some alternates, but we can only march 16 for the 16 susa's the school owns. If the alumni would like to donate a few more there could be some more :wink: :wink:
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby transfer2BGSU » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:59 pm

McMetz811 wrote:HOW MANY MAGGOTS? YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MANY MAGGOTS!!!!!!!
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!!
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rightupinthere » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:16 pm

Sparky was, is, and always will be a Jackass. I actually had to talk people OUT of killing him (and they were serious). His drills weren't that great. His concert band presence was weak, and he really didn't live up to his resume.

Kelly showed him the door with a foot to the @ss.

I still hear in my head that Turkish Bus Driver saying, "this the best you can do?" I'm glad the lackwit went back to being a turtle.

Jackson was the last great assistant band director we had (before the current edition, of course). He and I butted heads frequently but I will always respect and admire the man. His musicianship both on the field and in the concert band room was awesome. And he was a percussionist! Who woulda thunk[sic] it? He did have a little bit of an ego, but it was deserved.
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere

Postby FliccGirl » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:37 pm

I have a feeling I'm missing the connection here.... :? lol
Falcon Marching Band member 2002-05
FMB Flicc Squad Leader 2005
Tau Beta Sigma outreach chair 04-05, 05-06
The sun ALWAYS shines on the Falcon Marching Band.

***Irrational Exuberance!***
FliccGirl
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: Toledo... (but I repeat, the MED SCHOOL DOESN'T COUNT!)

Postby SaxyOboist » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:35 am

I'm going to have to agree about Dr. Toney and the way he treated the bands. He was just not good at getting through to the Marching Band. I was in the concert band second semester of freshmen year, which was when he conducted it, and then decided not to do it again. Granted he had a clearer beat than Dr. Moss, but I didn't really feel the urge to be back in whatever band he conducted. The balance was way off, and he just never took the time to tell people the blunt truth of it all. If they sounded like butt, he'd smile his fake plastic smile and just say, "Ah... lets do that again."

Ok. But. what are we trying to fix this time? are we supposed to be mind readers here? Seriously.

It was as if when he conducted the world's best band was in front of him playing perfectly. And he didnt need to fix a thing.

With Dr. Hayward, it is completely different. If it sounds out of tune, she'll tell you. If the balance is off, she'll tell you. What she did with uni-band last year was phenominal! I just kept telling people, If you go to the concert tonight, do stay through to see the concert band, but really keep an ear on the uni-band. They are awesome!

It's like you could give her the world's crappiest players, and she can mold and create the world's best ensemble. It's really cool. :D
SaxyOboist
Egg
Egg

Postby jg4242 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:17 pm

SaxyOboist wrote:I think we are having the "Patriotic" show, which is something you guys knew already, and I think she said something about a Bohemian Rhapsody show. Haven't been really keeping up with what themes we'll have this week, so I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know if no one else replies to it.
-=Jessica=-

Bohemian Rhapsody?? Uh-oh....
We over at BGHS are going to take Bohemian Rhapsody to contest!!

BTW 227 total people is great! I can't wait to see the FMB in action this year!
jg4242
Fledgling
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to BGSU Bands