"I Hear America Singing!"

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

"I Hear America Singing!"

Postby the_big_c » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:32 pm

Wow! Are you fans, and alums in for a real treat! Just from the few full band rehearsals, I can say that this is one of the best shows that I've played while here at BG. :D Goosebumps galore, and chills sent down the spine were great reminders as to why I love the FMB! I don't think that there will be a dry seat in the house...especially at the finale...but I can't say anymore!
"The Good Bands, become Friends. The Great Bands become Families, and all of the others manage to maintain some semblance of existence through being loudmouths and pompous fools. We are a Family."

God, I love Band!
the_big_c
Egg
Egg

Postby FliccGirl » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:32 pm

No dry seats in the house?!? We're going to make everyone lose control of their bladder???

:wink:
Falcon Marching Band member 2002-05
FMB Flicc Squad Leader 2005
Tau Beta Sigma outreach chair 04-05, 05-06
The sun ALWAYS shines on the Falcon Marching Band.

***Irrational Exuberance!***
FliccGirl
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: Toledo... (but I repeat, the MED SCHOOL DOESN'T COUNT!)

Postby the_big_c » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:16 am

Yes, I feel that this show is going to cause everyone to lose control of all bodily functions! :D Hopefully tears only, but who knows!
"The Good Bands, become Friends. The Great Bands become Families, and all of the others manage to maintain some semblance of existence through being loudmouths and pompous fools. We are a Family."

God, I love Band!
the_big_c
Egg
Egg

Postby able1 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:44 pm

I was out to see the band practice for awhile this afternoon. All I can say is I hope this team of Hayward and Nowlin stick around for awhile. They were running a very productive rehearsal and the band looked and sounded good for it being this early.
They were not trying to be intimidating, just very to the point. They had a 'this is how it's going to be' kind of attitude and the band responded well to it. It was a good atmosphere for a rehearsal.
It was nice seeing a bigger band on the field again, and the balance was really good too. Well, with the exception of the large number off piccs :wink:
Sorry fliccgirl, it had to be said :P
able1
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FliccGirl » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:45 pm

Hey, feel lucky. We had nine piccs in our section earlier in the week ( :shock: ) and cut it down to five!

Sorry if we didn't look too energetic this afternoon, but it's not really that surprising. Because yesterday was so rainy, we were inside all day, which meant that we were outside all day today.... which meant pregame.... ALL... DAY.

But yes, I definitely agree about Dr Hayward and Ryan Nowlin. They rock a lot. They can magically gain most everyone's respect while still being nearly universally liked. Quite a difficult line to walk, but they do it well!

FliccGirl
Peregrine
Peregrine

I Can Hear America Singing...

Postby baritonebandgeek » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:50 pm

Oh my goodness. This being my first year in the FMB(Second year as a music ed major at BG), I wasn't sure what to expect. In my home marching band, we more or less walked in sync. Anyhow...this show is going to be absolutely amazing!!!!!! First of all, Mr. Ryan Nowlin is just flat-out amazing. Even the first time we played this song, I got chills and it brought tears to my eyes. Dr. Hayward, Mr. Nowlin, and the 2 grads, Jeff and Justine, are definitely going to make this season a great one. When you all come to see this show, it will definitely knock your socks off, if you are, in fact, wearing socks! :D
baritonebandgeek
Egg
Egg

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:02 pm

I would totally just like to say that i completely agree with leah. the first time i played ANYTHING ryan mr. nowlin writes/conducts it almost always brings tears to my eyes. grant it that i don't really like jason sivill, but i think with ryan's awesome music, hayward's patient conducting, the awesomeness of the drum majors, and the SWEET ASS drumline...sivill has a lot to work on, and i'm sure it will be kewl too...this is gonna be an AWESOME year! :D I'm so glad i decided to march this year...i just wish i could have done it last year to trick the newguys about "friday dress up" hahaha.
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Metz » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:00 pm

grant it that i don't really like jason sivill

If anyone should dislike Mr. Sivill, it should be me. For some reason he chose to criticize everything I did in front of the whole band good or bad for the last 2 years. The first year he was a TA, he chose to follow me around on the field for some odd reason. I can honestly say that his first impression might be a little odd but he's a great guy once you actually talk to him more. The dedication he had into making our drill fantasitc last year amazed me. He would be in the music building past midnight some nights if not every night working on our drill. I don't think anyone should dislike him. He writes some tremendous drill and I could not be more thankful.
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby baritonebandgeek » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:45 pm

I can't believe I'm saying these words, but I agree with Metzger on this one. My first impression of Sivill wasn't the best, but as the year progressed, I grew to respect him a great deal. A lot of things he said made sense, and he didn't beat around the bush if you were wrong about something. Some of the greatest teachers are like that, and he is, in fact a good guy, and amazing at drill writing.
baritonebandgeek
Egg
Egg

Postby FliccGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:22 pm

I agree. Although I can't say Jason Sivill is one of my favorite people ever, I have definitely, without question, grown to respect him-- both for his no-nonsense, somewhat perfectionistic attitude, and his skill in writing amazing drills. I also learned to enjoy his at times very sarcastic sense of humor! (Of course, as a trumpet player, he wasn't very fond of my section... we often wondered if he was trying to kill us off by making us backstep 6-to-5 on a diagonal at 140 bpm while meshing with a line of flags.... :wink: )

FliccGirl
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:42 pm

Okay, I can see your point...I just don't like him as a person. I tried to get to know him outside of band, but it didn't work out so well, so I just dropped it. I mean, it seriously took him until the LAST day of Uni Band to learn my name...and he prolly doesn't remember it to this day...and that is one of my biggest pet peeves about teachers/ta/anyone claiming to be professional. I will agree somewhat though, I think he's an amazing drill writer, especially from the things I saw today that's we're doing with Ryan's "I Hear America Singing"...absolutely amazing. And with that, I'm done. 8)
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Return to BGSU Bands