Was there a dorm fire in the late 90's?

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

Was there a dorm fire in the late 90's?

Postby Bleeding Orange » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:38 pm

I'm sorry if this is an emotional topic for some, but my mother just called asking which dorm it was that burned down sometime between 1997 and 1999. She was adamant that the dorm had completely burned down, and I told her that the only dorm that I know of that has since been torn down was Prout Hall, but as far as I know that hall was torn down to renoate the Union. She was asking because she teaches with a woman who recently told her that she lost a child in that fire.

Does anyone know anything about this? I am astounded that I know absolutely nothing of this (or at least can't remember anything about it), especially because I was a history major, and in fact studied the history of the University extensively while I was there.

My mother is very curious. Any help would be very much appreciated. Again, I appologize if this is a difficult subject for some people.
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange
The Abominable Desert 'Cat

Postby PGY Tiercel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:52 pm

Yes there was a fire, good amount of damage internally, but no building was burnt down. It was in Kohl or Rodgers. Vague memory is that no one died, but I can't remember. It was a year or two before I got there. It was the catalyst for no candles etc in the dorms as incense was what caused the fire if I recall.
--nullius in verba--
PGY Tiercel
Salmon of Doubt
Salmon of Doubt

Postby PGY Tiercel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 pm

Found this blurb in a BGNews article from 03. The fire was in 96, Rodgers hall, but there is no mention of anyone dying, which I really think I would remember. I grew up in Perrysburg, read the Sentinel Tribune daily and was on Campus 5 days a week during the winter for swimming. There might have been an off campus house, that burnt down, I know of a least one during that time, but again no deaths.

BGNEWs wrote:A shut door helped contain a McDonald hall fire in April 2002. Though it caused $25,000 damage, a much larger fire hit Rodgers in 1996, causing $300,000 damage. An open door in the Rodgers fire caused the difference in damage by letting flames spread, according to a BG News interview last year with BGFD Captain Mike Instone.
--nullius in verba--
PGY Tiercel
Salmon of Doubt
Salmon of Doubt

Postby Bleeding Orange » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:49 pm

Thank you for the info, PGY!
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange

Postby SaxyIrishTenor » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:15 am

Supposedly a girl had some candles lit and was sitting next to them with a blanket on her... When she moved the blanket to get up she hit the candle or knocked it over and the fire spread.
SHEEEE'S BAAAAAAAACK.

"SWF seeks marching band for relationship..."

"No well-behaved woman ever made history."
SaxyIrishTenor
Feisty Falcon
Feisty Falcon

Postby jacojdm » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:29 am

PGY Tiercel wrote:Found this blurb in a BGNews article from 03. The fire was in 96, Rodgers hall, but there is no mention of anyone dying, which I really think I would remember. I grew up in Perrysburg, read the Sentinel Tribune daily and was on Campus 5 days a week during the winter for swimming. There might have been an off campus house, that burnt down, I know of a least one during that time, but again no deaths.

BGNEWs wrote:A shut door helped contain a McDonald hall fire in April 2002. Though it caused $25,000 damage, a much larger fire hit Rodgers in 1996, causing $300,000 damage. An open door in the Rodgers fire caused the difference in damage by letting flames spread, according to a BG News interview last year with BGFD Captain Mike Instone.

yeah i remember that they used to hang photos of the rodgers fire in the residence halls every fall to remind people not to use candles. i suppose that probably is no longer done.
and, pgy, was the fire of which you're thinking in a house on s. college? a high school friends sister was a student at bg at the time, and her house caught fire, but did not burn down. it used to be red when she lived there, and was painted/sided in white after it was rebuilt. this house, btw, was also the site this summer of an accidental hanging death.
jacojdm
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyIrishTenor » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:19 pm

jacojdm wrote: this house, btw, was also the site this summer of an accidental hanging death.

What happened there?!? I never heard about that. :cry:
SHEEEE'S BAAAAAAAACK.

"SWF seeks marching band for relationship..."

"No well-behaved woman ever made history."
SaxyIrishTenor
Feisty Falcon
Feisty Falcon

Postby jacojdm » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:46 pm

SaxyIrishTenor wrote:
jacojdm wrote: this house, btw, was also the site this summer of an accidental hanging death.

What happened there?!? I never heard about that. :cry:

in august (i think), a young man was working on a video for a class project that involved some sort of rigging with rope.
jacojdm
Peregrine
Peregrine

Dorm or Apartment complex fire?

Postby Falconbadger » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:02 pm

Any chance the original caller could have been confused an apartment complex fire with a dorm fire? Seems to me someone sent me a newspaper story from about that era about a fire in an apartment complex near campus that was primarily occupied by students.
I also seem to recall a situation where a small plane crashed into an apartment complex after taking off from the local airfield. I think that was in the 80s or 90s. It's also possible that I'm confusing one event for two. And I don't remember if there were any fatalities involved or not.
"No, it's NOT in Kentucky!"
Falconbadger
Egg
Egg

Re: Dorm or Apartment complex fire?

Postby PGY Tiercel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:05 pm

Falconbadger wrote:Any chance the original caller could have been confused an apartment complex fire with a dorm fire? Seems to me someone sent me a newspaper story from about that era about a fire in an apartment complex near campus that was primarily occupied by students.
I also seem to recall a situation where a small plane crashed into an apartment complex after taking off from the local airfield. I think that was in the 80s or 90s. It's also possible that I'm confusing one event for two. And I don't remember if there were any fatalities involved or not.

As far as I know BG has not suffered any casulities due to fires in dorms, nor do I remember any in apartments in the area. The Plane incident I think was in the 70's. The occupants of the plane perished, but no residents of the apartment.
--nullius in verba--
PGY Tiercel
Salmon of Doubt
Salmon of Doubt

Postby bgmaggot00 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:39 am

There was a fire that demolished a building on the 800 block of 2'nd street sometime in the 02-03 year. I know, I lived across the street.
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Rodgers

Postby eastharbor11 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:54 pm

I went to BG and in fact spent most of my time in Rodgers when the '96 fire occurred. I recall the young lady who was responsible was quite villified by her neighbors who lost some of their possessions, etc. in the fire. I don't recall any other major fires though during that time period. By the way, I also lived in the apartments on E. Poe and was a little paranoid of a plance crashing into my building.
eastharbor11
Egg
Egg

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 pm

That was my Freshman or Sophomore year.(I don't remember if it was in January or December 1996) I remember walking to class and everyone was pushed up onto the porch of the library to get around because the streets were closed. As I remember it the girl left a candle burning on the window sill and went to take a shower. The candle fell onto her couch and then it was all over. I remember them saying the fire doors are what saved the entire building. It was the 4th floor of Rodgers East and some water damage to the 3rd floor as I remember.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Brown Polyester » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:16 pm

There was a fire in Rodgers that burned the top floor of the East wing, but no one was hurt. It was indeed cause by a girl who threw blankets over a candle as she left her room. That's one reason why open flames are prohibited.

Prout was torn down to make room for the renovated Union.

No off-campus apartment that I know of was burned to the ground.

As for accidental hangings, I am unaware of any, though there was a young man who intentionally hung himself (in his closet of all places...and if you know Kreischer you'd be amazed) in Batchelder in the 90's. Very sad case.
I work for BGSU, but I won't tell you how or where.
Brown Polyester
Egg
Egg

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories