Trees on campus

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

Trees on campus

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:54 am

I had a few questions that stemmed from a topic started over in the basketball thread about trees being cut down on campus. Can anyone shed a little more light on the subject of what is going on with the trees being cut down again on campus? Are they cutting down just the ash trees, or other species of trees as well? Are all the trees that are currently being cut down on campus are going to be replaced with new trees? Please I hope the answer is yes to that question! Any idea of where on campus all these trees are being removed? Any further information would be much appreciated.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jeebus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:38 am

i was wondering that too... they've been doing alot of work on the area in front of the police station...its all roped off and such.
jeebus
Chick
Chick

Postby FMBfan07 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:13 pm

more trees by anderson arena were being cut down today.. looks so bare!
Go Falcons!
Roll Along!
FMBfan07
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:15 pm

Emerald Ash Borer?? That would be my guess, but it's just that... a guess.
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby FMBfan07 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:21 pm

ZiggyZoomba wrote:Emerald Ash Borer?? That would be my guess, but it's just that... a guess.

that's what i was thinking too
Go Falcons!
Roll Along!
FMBfan07
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:36 pm

That's what it is....damn pests. :evil:
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 pm

Damn. I understand why they are doing this if it’s because of the borer and all, but still. If this is the case, I’m guessing they’ll be removing more than just the trees in front of Anderson Arena then, I’m sure there are others spread around campus. The shame of the matter is many people, including myself, always felt BG should have planted more trees on campus all along, and now we’re losing some of the few we already had. I can only hop they are at least going to replace the ones they cut down and hopefully add more.

Does anyone know if there is a link or any information being provided by the university, or what office is overseeing this project on campus? I couldn’t find one on the website but it would be nice to direct these questions to the source.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby KeyWestParrot » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:40 pm

I thought I heard something about a building to be built in that area to replace the space ship building (Saddlemire). I could be wrong but I heard something like that somewhere.
I am the eggman....I am the Walrus
KeyWestParrot
Chick
Chick

Postby Bleeding Orange » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 am

KeyWestParrot wrote:I thought I heard something about a building to be built in that area to replace the space ship building (Saddlemire). I could be wrong but I heard something like that somewhere.

Yes, there will be a new arts building going in the grassy area between Moore and the fine arts building, next to Kreischer. From what I've heard, Saddlemire is being torn down in order to expand the design of the new building. Saddlemire was certainly...unique, but I don't know too many people who will be shedding tears over its passing. It is a cool building, but like many buildings of it's era, the design simply wasn't sustainable.
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange
The Abominable Desert 'Cat

Postby Strouse » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:19 am

Bleeding Orange wrote:
KeyWestParrot wrote:I thought I heard something about a building to be built in that area to replace the space ship building (Saddlemire). I could be wrong but I heard something like that somewhere.

Yes, there will be a new arts building going in the grassy area between Moore and the fine arts building, next to Kreischer. From what I've heard, Saddlemire is being torn down in order to expand the design of the new building. Saddlemire was certainly...unique, but I don't know too many people who will be shedding tears over its passing. It is a cool building, but like many buildings of it's era, the design simply wasn't sustainable.

I wonder if that includes the moving of The Painted Rock. I would hate to see the University completely remove something of such tradition for all students. As far as the trees are concerned, wasn't this brought up when almost all of the trees along Wooster were torn down? I'm assuming that it could very well be a mix of the borer as well as the trees just dying due to that as well as other reasons. Hopefully though the university does plan on replanting new trees. Unfortunately though that still means that the wonderful look of our beautiful campus will be drastically changed for several years until the new trees have grown big enough.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TG1996 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:24 am

Strouse wrote:I wonder if that includes the moving of The Painted Rock. I would hate to see the University completely remove something of such tradition for all students.

It's been moved once, it can be moved again.

"All" students, though? I thought it was cool as hell what the football team did after it was vandalized this fall, but I always thought the rock seemed like a Greek thing.
"I don't believe I can name a coach, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, who did it better than Doyt Perry."
-1955 BG Assistant Bo Schembechler

BGSUsports.com - Where ESPN.com goes for BG history.
TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bleeding Orange » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:28 am

Personally, I blame the trees being cut down on Global Warming.

If the rock is moved, I will blame that on Global Warming, as well. Perhaps we can bring The Goracle to campus to save it. :-D

(the proposed site isn't near where the rock currently resides)
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:28 am

This article talks about the town and campus. Sounds like we're going to be losing more and more trees on campus. :(

http://media.www.bgnews.com/media/stora ... 1433.shtml
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby redskins4ever » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:50 pm

There is an initative within the administration to replace all of the trees cut down and then some.
redskins4ever
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TG1996 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:52 pm

If any of these trees were found to have the bug in them (I was too lazy to read any stinkin' article :-D ), when do we load up the firewood and present it to UT as a "peace offering"?

And when will the small pox blankets be ready? :lol:
"I don't believe I can name a coach, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, who did it better than Doyt Perry."
-1955 BG Assistant Bo Schembechler

BGSUsports.com - Where ESPN.com goes for BG history.
TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories