Page 1 of 1

BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:16 am
by Flipper
Was looking for some info on the Detroit riots (trying to explain the impact of the event to my daughter) when I came across an interesting article on the second to the last page of the scanned Blade.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=8 ... page&hl=en

President Jerome was on a one man mission to obliterate the word "state" from all things connected to the University . James Hof (director of University relations) wanted to go with "Bowling Green" because nobody calls Princeton Princeton U.

I like Hof's idea...I never use the full BGSU or refer to the school as Bowling Green State....to me it is and always has been BG or Bowling Green. Although I have to admit...I love the old BG-SU chant. Given the virtual bloodbath that occurs when we discuss the logo or colors....maybe I shouldn't have brought this up. :)

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:04 pm
by Class of 61
Flipper wrote:Was looking for some info on the Detroit riots (trying to explain the impact of the event to my daughter) when I came across an interesting article on the second to the last page of the scanned Blade.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=8 ... page&hl=en

President Jerome was on a one man mission to obliterate the word "state" from all things connected to the University . James Hof (director of University relations) wanted to go with "Bowling Green" because nobody calls Princeton Princeton U.

I like Hof's idea...I never use the full BGSU or refer to the school as Bowling Green State....to me it is and always has been BG or Bowling Green. Although I have to admit...I love the old BG-SU chant. Given the virtual bloodbath that occurs when we discuss the logo or colors....maybe I shouldn't have brought this up. :)


If you look at older yr.books from " my era" you'll see Nate thurmond in a BGU uni. I too just use Bowling Green when asked where I went to school and never liked the Bowling Green State reference.

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:01 am
by mscarn
Yeah...the 'state' part seems superfluous. It's not like there's a private university named Bowling Green out there somewhere that we're trying to distinguish ourselves from. The 'SU' add on is tolerable because it fits into the Ay Ziggy Zoomba song so nicely.

'State' is pretty well-linked to Kent although it wouldn't be the worst thing for them to consider omitting. Ball State doesn't really have a choice, though.

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm
by BGFalconfromCincy
When it comes to sports I always go with Bowling Green or BGSU. I really dislike when other schools we are facing refer to us as Bowling Green State in their game notes or on their website, it just doesn't sound right

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 pm
by factman
! =D>

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 am
by transfer2BGSU
BGFalconfromCincy wrote:When it comes to sports I always go with Bowling Green or BGSU. I really dislike when other schools we are facing refer to us as Bowling Green State in their game notes or on their website, it just doesn't sound right


OU wants to be referred to as OHIO or BOBCATS and not OU.

TU wants us to call them the UNIVERSITY of The School Up North. They'll always be TU to me.

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:26 am
by BGFalconfromCincy
transfer2BGSU wrote:
BGFalconfromCincy wrote:When it comes to sports I always go with Bowling Green or BGSU. I really dislike when other schools we are facing refer to us as Bowling Green State in their game notes or on their website, it just doesn't sound right


OU wants to be referred to as OHIO or BOBCATS and not OU.

TU wants us to call them the UNIVERSITY of The School Up North. They'll always be TU to me.


One of my favorite things when looking at game notes for other schools is their little disclaimer area where they tell you what they want you to call them and what not to call them

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 pm
by It's the Journey...
For as much support as we are getting from the state of Ohio recently we should drop "State" from the name.

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:07 pm
by jacojdm
Bacon for 75 cents a pound? Sign me up!

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:13 am
by transfer2BGSU
jacojdm wrote:Bacon for 75 cents a pound? Sign me up!


Try the Double Decker BLT at the Amish Deli (on E. Wooster St).

That sucker has a pound of bacon!

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 pm
by BGSU33
I think this is an interesting topic. I actually wish we would drop the "state" part and just go with Bowling Green University (BGU). Schools such as Memphis (Memphis State) and Troy (Troy State) also "recently" dropped the word State from their name to better market, promote and grown their universities. I remember Troy announcing they were doing it because they felt being known as Troy State carried the connotation it was more of a regional university than a national university it wanted to be known as and become. Every time I look at my Nate Thurmond BGU jersey I wish we went back to it. I also loved those BGU throwback jerseys we wore a few years ago.

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 pm
by Critical Thinker
I'm perfectly content with State. It's our actual name, why would call ourselves something else? Besides, our logo and wordmark make no reference to State or University, so any decision to drop State wouldn't affect our image in athletics. I'd prefer if our unis said Bowling Green instead of BGSU/BGU anyway. Plus, Bowling Green University sounds like a private school.

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm
by Falcon Fanatic
Critical Thinker wrote:I'm perfectly content with State. It's our actual name, why would call ourselves something else? Besides, our logo and wordmark make no reference to State or University, so any decision to drop State wouldn't affect our image in athletics. I'd prefer if our unis said Bowling Green instead of BGSU/BGU anyway. Plus, Bowling Green University sounds like a private school.

+1